Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Moss / Pahlen / top plates
From: Jun Nakajima <jun@magicalights.co.jp>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 21:07:56 +0900

Hans Pahlen wrote:

> I know that some Swedish dealers have exported lots of M-gear to foreign
> persons who later on distribute it at the international collectors market.
> Now the same dealers are looking for black M-bodies, asking to buy anything
> they will encounter in their shops (they offer 50% more than less than a
> year ago). As they told me that top plates would be exchanged, we can also
> assume that new black top plates can be produced and engraved somewhere
> outside the Leica factory. As long as they do it on original black bodies,
> using real serial numbers, nothing can be proved wrong. If this "production"
> is controlled by someone knowing the collectors market well, it is a nice
> money maker. I dont think they will use duplicate serial numbers, unless
> they want to produce a fake MP, or if they start to convert chrome bodies.
> But then they will undermine their own business, very unlikely.
>
> I think Marvin's info was very interesting, and now I can understand the
> sudden interest by certain dealers for my black M:s. Well, I will happily go
> on using my old M:s, and maybe in the end these people will sell their top
> plates as spare parts. Then I will buy one too, as I like black bodies more
> than chrome...
>
> I am interested to see Jun's comment. Would please repost it to the LUG.
>
> /Hans

Hi Hans,calling me?(^_^)

Well,as the first,there are two patters that the top cover will be
changed to new one from the old.(from own personal expriences)

1) Tha Leica factory permit to change to top cover cause of an accident
happend to the original leica body.I supporse that it will be changed
one as same as original version.(Black to black,chrome to chrome)

2) There is a third party factory to re-painted to black from chrome
version.But as the limit of my experience and saying that it shoud be
used for pesonal using only!(Use for owner it's self.)not for using the
buisiness.(purpose for some speculation.ie: at the shop,or some
auctions..)
In this case,this modified camera never come out or back to any market
place,so it is a same thing...."vanish" from the market for Leica camera
in the world.(market place for the buisiness)

I know that there are some re-painted or clealy fake(?) Leica M body
at the shop in japan since several years ago,but I do not know where or
who
did the make or re-painted to those cameras.Because I am not sales man
for old leica camera.

Well,I have M2 paint camera as my lovely one,and I heard that it was
refurbished one,but I do not know that who and where did the refurbish
on my
lovely M2 camera.This is the fact for me and of course,there no problems
for me,because this is the one for surely myself use only.

If someone would like to have some modified leica camera,I think
that it is not a crime for use one's personal use only.This is a really
hobby to get for own pleasure.

But,if someone would like to selling at any shop for own speculation
with
one's intention,it is really and clealy "an offence",I believe this.
And of course,I feel so very unlikely.

Remember,if there are anyone who make up an modified or re-painted for
their own business...they are not really lovers for leica.

Thanks,jun

- --
Jun Nakajima
Magicalights Studio Corporation.