Subject: [Leica] Re: Moss / Pahlen / top plates
From: Leikon35 <Leikon35@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 22:30:43 EST

 About 6 years ago, a well known West Coast millionaire & Leica
 collector, asked me to find him a Mint Leica MP & that he would
 pay $10,000 for it.  I laughed and said "Jim, there are no Mint MPs,
 practically all 350 of them went to professionals that put them to
 heavy use."  About a year later at the same Pasadena Convention
 Center Camera Show,  Jim showed up and handed me a Mint black
 MP that he had recently purchased.  I examined it very carefully
 & concurred with him that it indeed had all the attributes of being
 authentic.  When I returned home & looked up the s/n of that black
 MP - I found that it had been manufactured in chrome, not black.

 Even today I am still puzzled by that anomaly.

 Marvin
<< Of course they were all Russian copies, but someone
 obviously has started producing top plates for these Zorkys and FEDs. These
 cameras were fakes, and they made me laugh, but what do we say about all
 these "mint" black M-bodies, that sooner or later will turn up at different
 auctions? I will stubbornly refuse to sell my M4 to these people. I will go
 on using >>