Subject: [Leica] speed of leica lenses
From: "G.B. Vinke" <G.B.Vinke@wxs.nl>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 00:34:26 +0100

Hello Friends,
Hans Pahlen recently named some book titles about Leica-M, Osterloh and
Bower. I agree: both books are great reading. Both books, however, are
not quite 'objective' in comparing the M's to SLR's. Osterloh and Bower
keep suggesting that Leica M lenses are faster than SRL lenses.
That's okay for Noctilux (but who can afford it), but the other lenses
all have their equivalents among SLR.
Then the only interpretation of their claim can be, that most SLR lenses
have to be stopped far more than M lenses to get the same results.
I like working with my 1963 M2 and my 1973 Summicron 2/50, sometimes at
full opening; mostly stopped down to f5,6, and I get marvellous results.
I also like working with my Nikon FM2 with the standard 1.8/50,
sometimes at full opening; mostly stopped down to f5.6, and I get
marvellous results. The difference is not dictated by the kind of camera
I use, but by the circumstances: I use the M2 when I want to be
'included' and involved; I use my FM2 when I want to be the outsider
looking in. (By the way, my most frequently used lens with FM2 is an old
3,5/55 micro-Nikkor, one of the top lenses of Nikon.)
I think, the argument of speedy lenses as opposed to SLR's is bullshit.
Important is, that Leica allows you to use longer hand-held exposure
times, up to 1/8 sec.
I like to hear your comments

Geert Vinke
The Netherlands