Subject: [Leica] Re: Summicron Tests
From: Leikon35 <Leikon35@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 04:08:07 EST

In a message dated 98-01-21 03:06:57 EST, Patrick writes
 >> snip <<
 In any case, given that lots of people on this list report
 experiences different than yours with the 50/2 Summicron, does it
 seem possible to you that your particular example of this lens may
 not be typical?  Perhaps it needs an internal cleaning and should be
 collimated to your camera.  I ask purely as a matter of curiosity --
  -Patrick <<
 Just as a matter of curiosity -- since I had about a dozen 50/2 Summicrons
 in my posssession at that time -- I ran a comparison test against my Alien
 LTM  Nikkor 50/1.4 & Canon 50/1.4.  These lenses were by no means new
 but all were what I considered to be in typical EX to MT- condition.
 They results were not really surprising to me, as there were more difference
 between two identical Summicrons then there were between the Aliens & the
 Leitz lenses. These were not elaborate bench tests but were just the type of
 pictures that I would take normally.

 On closer inspection of these lenses later with a flash light & collimator, I
could
 definitely tell why there was a difference - only 7 of these used Summicrons
were
 adjusted to be sharp at infinity and I didnt use the camera to determine this
but
 used an infinity focus jig. Three of them had a misty appearance caused by
some
 oil on the iris blades.

 In conclusion I feel that regardless of these finding - all  of these lenses
gave
 excellent results although the worst and the best were identical
collapsibles.

 Marvin Moss