Subject: Re: [Leica] That 'grit' thing on R8 screens
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 15:46:14 -0600

After reading a few more posts I realized this, and to see someone
actually tested the EOS1n brighter than the R8 blew me away.  It is still
my observation that the R8 viewfinder is brighter, maybe this is because
the mirror loses less light, or other factors not directly related to the
actual screen.  I do not know how they test brightness of screens, but in
my experience - real life situations - the R8 viewfinder is brighter than
the EOS 1, as is the R6.

I, too find it curious that one would find an EOS1n or F5 finder brighter
than -- or even equal to -- the R8's. I don't use the R8, but I've reviewed
it extensively and one point which continues to amaze me is how bright and
contrasty the screen is. And how delightfully easy it is focus with the
camera. I currently shoot with Nikons (F4 and FM2) and the R8's screen puts
them to shame. And it seems I've heard that the F5's finder is something
like a half stop darker than the F4's because of the LCD autofocus overlay
on the focusing screen.

Larry