Subject: Re: [Leica] Somky
From: Nick Hunter <nhunter1@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 00:30:33 -0500 (EST)

From Bob's post:

> I think
>that those of us who know which Leica accessories are first rate should
>petition Solms to restore them to the Leica M line.

Bob:

I don't have the SOMKY but have considered it for its portability. Leica
discontinued them in 1965 as they began to marginalize the M and push the
Leicaflex and later R for general purpose use. The M now seems to be
marketed as a niche product for journalism and street shooting; but it
makes a great lightweight travel and hiking camera, as everyone here knows.
2-3 lenses on an M body will do a whole lot in a small kit, with the most
obvious shortcoming being lack of close up capability. Except for some
specialized situations, I could live with the modest (1:5) range of the
SOMKY, and it's smaller than even one additional lens. Compare to a
Visoflex or SLR body and lens, which would more than double the gear to
carry!

The SOMKY,aka 16507 took the Summicron or Elmar collapsables in the folded
position, does anyone know if the new 2.8 Elmar has the mounting lugs for
this device? UOORF/16508 adapted SOOKY/16507 for the removable portion of
the first version rigid Summicron. I don't think later lenses can be
used(?). This could be a problem as far as returning the SOMKY to
production is concerned. A supplementary diopter lens device such could be
made to fit all the 50's, similar to the ADVOO for the IIIg, but I don't
think this would be as good (less magnification, possible optical loss).

Nick Hunter