Subject: [Leica] Lens numbering
From: Robert Beaudoin <bussbearm@cedep.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 22:21:53 -0500 (EST)

Charlie,

     Thank you very much for your reply to my recent posting.  Indeed, the
Leica III (1933) IS a jewel.  Still works fine...  Come see me in 65 years
with your electronic wonders I tell my friends.  As for the 50mm lens, there
is no serial number anywhere on the lens.  I checked carefully the front
rings and cannot see a serial number.  So I guess my question remains, did
Leitz numbered some lenses on the inside ?  If not, how could they keep
track of the numbering?

     Thank you all for your attention.

Robert.

P.S.  If it might help, the lens is nickel plated and has the 11 0 clock
infinity lock.