Subject: Re: [Leica] Hoods
From: The Barkers <rbarker@polarnet.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 23:26:07 -0800

Hi gang -
Since there has been some discussion about lens hoods, I hope you don't
mind some of my thoughts.  I recently had to replace a 50mm summicron and
purposely bought a used one generation back model that uses the clip on
vented hood.  The current version has a slide out hood.  I think this hood
doesn't extend far enough to shade the lens much.   And, sliding hoods,
unless they detent into place, provide no physical protection for the lens.
(The wide angle add on hoods are squared and detented into position  so
they don't intrude into the finder - and more efficient. ) The current 90
Summicron also has a slide out hood which I don't use as I leave in place
an "off topic" screw in hood.  What erks me about the 90 is that to
accommodate the slide out hood Leica has placed the aperture ring close to
the focus collar.  Frequently I've inadvertently changed aperture when
focusing.  As a working pro I carry all lenses with hoods attached face
down in a bag, no front caps, for easy quick access.
   I offer these thoughts in the spirit of encouragement as I'm
tremendously reliant on the quality and good handling of equipment.

   Jim

James H. Barker (Jim) - jbarker@polarnet.com
High Latitude Documentary / Ethnographic Photography
Fairbanks, Alaska