Subject: [Leica] R8 winder
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 13:11:43 -0600

A few interesting points about the winder that those of you who don't want
to download the PDF file might want to know.

1: Takes two of the 2CR lithium batteries. They said they're good for 15
rolls of film in -20 Celsius temperatures. I trust that means a lot more at
warmer temperatures. Considering the cheapest I've found these (just over
$5 apiece) that's rather expensive if at normal temps. they don't do a lot
more rolls of film. At least Leica is honest about it, and not like Nikon
who claimed something like 75 rolls with their F5. In cold weather, it was
10 rolls with 8 AA batteries, and about 20 with 8 Lithiums! That's a
battery eater worse yet! The R8 Winder sounds cheap by comparison.

2. They finally have a battery pack that is rechargeable. (Truly a pro
feature there). Recharges in two hours in a cradle that you can drop it in.
Truly something they've needed to do for years. It screws on the bottom of
the winder and makes it taller. Also has tripod thread. Available in the
fall (The Power Pack MWR8, not the winder) Dang!

3: Rewind is auto, and stops with leader out. Hit rewind again and film
goes inside cassette.

4: Film advance out, winder off.

5: Makes R8 20mm taller. Very quiet.

I'm looking forward to getting it!

Personally, I don't care if it's 2 fps or 4 or 8. Great pictures aren't
made at 8 frames per second. They are made by anticipating the moment. No
matter how fast the winder/motor is going to be, the perfect moment can
happen between frames. As a year-long user of the Nikon F5 at a potential 8
fps, it's nice. But I'll get the motor later, so I'll have more speed. The
winder will be nice when I need the quiet nature of the winder vs. a louder
motor.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere.
- - Written in the dust on the back of a bus. Wickenburg, Arizona