Subject: Re: [Leica] Hand Made Glass? Leica distribution problems
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 98 18:02:11 +0100

On 17-01-1998 10:10 Myers Pete wrote:

(snip)
>Does Leica make their lenses out of hand made glass? The reason I ask is that
>It has been two months that I have been waiting on my R35mmf2ROM. You might
>recall that I did get one delivered, but the multi-coating was defective on
>the front element.
>
>I am happy that Leica is hand checking my next lens - but it sure would do me
>more good having it then thinking about how useful it will be to my work!
>
>The other thing that surprises me is in regard to filters. I like the Leica
>filters. I used B&W filters for a number of years, but have had some quality
>problems in recent times and had troubles cleaning the multi-coated filters.
>Why, I dont know, but they are tougher to clean then Leica's or Contax
>filters
>- go figure! At least that has been my experience.
>
>The problem is that I order Leica filters and it takes as long or longer then
>the lens to get here to get common filters. E55 UVs, yellow or orange should
>not be a major problem. Would you not think that they have a room full of
>them? Apparently not.
>
>I'm growing old. hee hee hee
(snip)
>Pete Myers

Hello Pete,

I had to wait two months before Leica replaced my defective new R8 body
and 28mm f/2.8 ROM with new ones, and even three months before my new
80mm f/1.4 ROM was replaced.
I had to make several phone calls to the official importer, and finally,
one E-mail to Solms directly did the job. To their credit I must say
that, in the end, they replaced all items as asked without making
problems.

Another one:

I ordered the Leica monitor screen for daylight projecting of slides (to
be used with my Leica slide projector) on the last day of September 1997.
I only received it yesterday...

I really think they have a serious problem in making products available
for distribution. Just think of the "SAGA" about the R8 motorwinder and
motordrive. Remember that the motorwinder was first promised in the 2nd
quarter of... 1997, to be rescheduled for Q4 of 1997. And it still isn't
available.

Pascal

Sent on a Macintosh PowerBook G3, the fastest laptop on the planet