Subject: [Leica] A REAL NEW Leica
From: "Douglas McLernon" <Douglas.McLernon@tcd.ie>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 13:05:47 -0000

I realize that many of you out there are drooling over a revolutionary
development in the recently announced M series that in reality appears to
be a 45 year old M3 in black with a meter and a more confusing viewfinder
- -BUT LEICA REALLY DOES HAVE A NEW CAMERA.

 On page 102 of the British magazine Photo Technique (Jan. 1998) Leica
announced the production of their S1 a "wide handled megapixel - first
shown at Photokina 1996-- that can accept all M and R series lenses -- and
an adapter to accept other make of 35mm (OH HORROR) and medium format
lenses. It produced 25 million pixel resolution and the release says it
will produce images "as good, if not better than  a scanned colour slide.
Price expected to be in excess of 10,000 UK pounds.

By the way, I can't remember if those big British twin of the 50s/early60s
really dropped that muck oil or if my eyes, along with all the other parts,
were vibrating some much after a prolonged ride that it just looked that
way.

Doug

 Dr. Douglas McLernon, Dublin 4, Ireland
E-mail - Trinity College Economics Dept. <Douglas.McLernon@tcd.ie> Home