Subject: Re: [Leica] Black Star book
From: Claes Bjerner <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 98 16:48:39 -0000

Having been inspired by the recent thread I just picked up Hendrik =
Neubauer=B4s Black Star book at my local store here in Stockholm. =
They had a whole pile of them stacked up on the floor. They go for =
US$37 including our local VA sales tax which is 25%.

The cover picture is the one of JFK in his rocking chair. As we all =
know it was shot by our very own Fred Ward. There is a picture of =
Fred himself on page 457. He=B4s admiring the necklace of a young =
beautiful (topless) lady. But what=B4s that around Fred=B4s neck? A =
CANON!! F1, or is it an A1? Don=B4t you think your Leica would have =
impressed the lady even more, Fred. She looks smart enough!

Anyway, it=B4s a beautiful publication in every respect. But it=B4s =
not the kind of book you take to bed! It=B4s too huge and heavy. In =
comparison Magnum=B4s "In our Times" is a pocket book! However, both =
of them look really nice together on the coffee table.

Oh yes! It=B4s one of the rare photo books in which the introduction =
is almost as interesting and informative as the pictures themselves. =
BTW, it=B4s written in three languages - English, German and French. =
And despite being a German publication they have put the English =
first! Nice touch!

Claes