Subject: Re: [Leica] New M6
From: Andras Iklody-Szabo <isza@link7.lat.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 23:22:26 -0400

S.P. (whoever that is) wrote:

>Speaking of CL.  Why doesn't anyone talk about them or the CLE?  I have read
>some satisfactory reviews in publications.  I would like to here pro and con
>imput re. these cameras.  Thanks, S.P.

IMHO the CLE is the best pocketable high-quality camera with
interchangeable lenses ever made. That the bayonet is Leica M, gives it
additional versatility (Visoflex, bellows, 21mm Elmarit, Leica-, Russian- &
other screw mount lenses via an adapter). The whole original outfit w.
body, 3 lenses and flash fits into a small shoulder bag the size of 2 -
stuffed - wallets. This is my minimum travel set. The lenses are incredibly
sharp, the autoexposure nearly always right-on. The only - minor - drawback
is, you can't make meter readings while in manual mode. Of course, the
Minolta lenses fit the M Leicas but don't couple properly with the
rangefinder because of a steeper follower cam. The same goes for Leitz M
lenses on the CLE.

The CL on the other hand was always suspect to me. A friend, who is a Leica
nut, bought one new, when they appeared on the market. He had problems with
it and got another one in exchange from Leitz within the warranty. That one
also developed problems, so he returned the camera and bought something
else. I've heard of other problem cases as well and was never tempted to
try a CL myself. That semaphore meter cell seems to have caused many
problems. In this case Minolta, the pupil, turned out to be better than the
teacher, Leitz. As soon as Leitz abandoned the CL they came out with a much
improved version, the CLE. No more semaphore, but a reflecting pattern on
the curtain which in the end is used on the M6 as well. Plus additional
electronics from Minolta SLRs of the day for autoexposure and TTL flash!
Now, 15 years later, the Leica M6 still hasn't got these features!

Of course, all this must be seen before the economic background of the
times: Leica was on the brink of going down the drain like Zeiss Ikon
because they hung on to a model considered outmoded in those days (the
Leica M). The rage was the SLR and the Leica SLRs of those days (Diesel-
Leica) were "too little, too late, too expensive" in spite of the quality.
They needed to quickly develop something new on a par with the leading
Japanese SLRs of the day but didn't have the money and time needed for R&D.
So they joined forces with Minolta for a while, which resulted in a Leica
clad Minolta SLR (R3) and Minolta lenses with Leitz logos, like the zooms.
Even this would probably not have saved them, had not Wild, the Swiss
precision instrument manufacturer decided to buy them and continue the
camera line. That's where we are today, including Minox in the meantime.
Leica Ms are in again with today's nostalgic and retro fashion in many
parts of the (developed) world and especially when compared to the
dominating alternative, the all-electronic, all-automatic computer
disguised as a camera which incidentally takes pictures as well. However,
that little romance with Minolta resulted in that beautiful offspring, the
CLE, one of my favourite cameras.

I am aware this is a highly personal and probably biased opinion but I
stand to it until somebody can prove me wrong.

Andras Iklody-Szabo
Caracas / Venezuela