Subject: Re: [Leica] Slide Scanner Question
From: "Philip S. Kronenberg" <philkvt@vt.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 19:57:00 -0500 (EST)

Richard,

I recommend the HP PhotoSmart scanner at under $500.

I bought one two weeks ago and have found it to be effective in scanning
slides, negatives, and prints up to 5x7.

Re the details: 2400 dpi and 30 bit, with fairly decent software to
customize your scans for printing and saving to other applications (like
Adobe Photoshop, etc). It includes in the price a dedicated SCSI card (which
I don't think will support other SCSI devices other than the HP PhotoSmart
scanner).

i have been very pleased with it, thus far. I have a substantial collection
of 35mm slides and negs (color & b&w) and feel it is a pragmatic alternative
to the higher-end scanners like the Nikon Coolscan LS-1000 (a 2700 dpi 35mm
scanner at around $1800...).

                -Phil