Subject: Re: [Leica] Some film questions
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 21:36:37 -0500

Ferdinand wrote:

<<<<Tried two rolls on the E200 and it definitely is more grainy than the
E(SW)100 version.>>>>>>

Ferdinand,

We just shot two rolls at the same time in different cameras to see what
the difference was between normal ISO 200 and three stops pushed ISO 800.

Actually the normal roll is a very fine film with little or no grain.
Obviously there is a grain and contrast build-up on the 3 stop push roll,
but it isn't objectionable.

With a 5X loupe on the light table one can see grain and that's a given
with any film pushed 3 stops. When we projected them to the screen it was
very interesting, as the grain wasn't really obvious. Certainly as I've
seen on other E6 pushed films.

The ISO 200 was shot using the 70-180 Apo 2.8 and the ISO 800 with the
f.1 Noctilux. The main body of exposures were bits and pieces and scenes
along the ocean on an overcast day. The M6 ISO 800 was completed indoors
using window light with exposures 1/30th @ f1.0 and f 1.4. This gives you
an idea of how little light there was at ISO 800.

I'd recommend this film for those who are available light shooters as the
results were excellent. Sure there's grain, but quite acceptable. Besides
how many images do we use 4'X 6' as seen on the screen?

As far as being more grainy than 100SW, yep that's right!  But at ISO 200
it's an excellent film with little or no grain when used normally. Very
minimal under 3 stops push, ie: ISO 800.

ted