Subject: Re: [Leica] Any suggestions please?
From: Alfred Breull <puma@hannover.sgh-net.de>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 01:17:27 +0100

Leo,

If you intend to be a good weather photographer, if you need the
auto-release, or the data back, go for the RE. If you like to care
for your pix instead of your camera and expect a highly reliable
body at the same time, go for the SL.

When you need to look for the money and carry an out-of-the-box
Leica, you usually hardly go out in the rain, don't join
demonstrations from where the action is, take less risk and are
afraid of scratches, notches, or signs. If your camera has been
"living before", you take more risks, get more close to the action,
and better pix - usually.

The SL is a remarkable fine camera, and the price is good also.
Here, in Germany, you are happy to get a scratched SL body on that
price - without the Summicron, which belongs to one of the finest
Leitz/ Leica lenses anyway.

I'd suggest, that you buy a 28 mm or 90 mm for the difference of
USD 1.400, instead of a zoomed RE. If I remember correct, a mint minus
90 R Elmarit was offered to the LUG recently on USD 600 (or similar),
so you could spend still USD 700+ on a 28 mm. Besides, there are
several technical and (photo) educational reasons to decide
against zooms, in general.

But, of course, you'd need to live with scratches and cleaning
marks ... :)

Alf