Subject: [Leica] RE: E6 @ home
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 07:57 +1100

G'day Jose,
I am not really an expert. I use the Agfa chemicals because they are =
packed in smaller amounts. One pack costs me $14 Australian or about $10 =
US and will do 4 of the 36 films. I divide the concentrate into two lots, =
the only failures I've had have been with old chemicals, so I tend to use =
the second lot within a week. The rotary Jobo drum holds two films, and =
uses 240ml of the chemicals, so the Agfa packs are ideal in volume. I then =
make sure with a good thermometer that the water bath and chemicals have =
reached the exact temperature and use 2 initial water bath rinses to bring =
the tank up to the right temperature. [Oh I'm not sure its important, but =
I always use filtered water to remove chemicals, and one day I hope to =
have a rain water tank and filter for all processing]. Timing is the =
important thing. I have a Jobo tank with the "lift", and to be honest, I =
would not use E6 process without this device. I use a stop watch, and =
write down the timing on the set of instructions, so that I do not become =
confused. This set of self reminders prompts me to lift 15 seconds before =
time allowing 10 seconds to drain and the 5 seconds to fill the tank with =
the next chemical. The Kodak chemistry is more complex and although I have =
used it, I have not found an advantage over the simple Agfa solution. =
Comments?

Alastair.