Subject: Re: [Leica] R zoom lens...
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 22:30:38 -0600

At 10:51 AM 1/4/98 -0800, you wrote:

>I've been using Leica lenses since childhood (my father used and still
>uses an M2), still think they are outstanding, and understand that
>Leica's production methods are outstanding, but for Leica to price so
>many of its fans out of the long-range tele lens format is absurd!!!

Let's put this in perspective.

Leica's new 280 2.8 apo lens (two modules in the five module system) costs
$7,995.

Sounds like a lot?

Well, Nikon's is well over $5,000. Canon's is $4,500. For a limited
production company, the difference in price is understandable. Especially
when the quality of the lens is taken into consideration.

The other competitor. Carl Zeiss Tele Apo Tessar 300 2.8 - $18,000.

Ouch! (Used to be $25,000, but nobody bought them!).

Leica's revenues are the envy of Japanese manufacturers. In 1995 Leica and
Contax alone had INCREASES in units sold. Somewhere about 30 per cent. All
the rest maintained or lost ground. That was according to Blake Ziegler of
Contax (and comparing his figures to Leicas).

The R system has had about a 91 per cent increase since the R8 came out.

Yep, they're about to die.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.