Subject: [Leica] Seeking advice on photo career
From: CHKARNES <CHKARNES@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 20:37:16 EST

Dan K. wrote to Charlie:

<On second thought, maybe you might want to share with us what Nikon and
<Hasselblad equipment that you have and also the type of professional work
<that you are doing so that members of the LUG will be able to advise you
<appropriately.

Dan,

For my Nikon F3, I have: 28/2.8; 55/2.8 Micro Nikkor; 105/2.5; 28-85/2.8;
80-200/4.0; 300/5.6 Heinz Kilfitt.

For the Hasselblad 500 C/M: I have the 80mm/2.8 and the 150mm/4.0 Zeiss
lenses.

For the 4x5 Ikeda View Camera: I have 90mm/8.0 Schneider, 180mm , and the
300/9.0 Nikkor.

I backpack with the 4x5 to get scenic shots. I also use the 4x5 for photos of
large, custom houses, mostly interiors, for the designer and builder for use
at home shows to illustrate his architectural design skills. The tilts and
swings on the view camera are absolutely essential for this kind of
photography.

I sometimes ski (on snow, this is high country) with the Hasselblad (in a Zero
Halliburton case) to get very special snow scenes. I also use the Hasselblad
for weddings, and portraits of individuals and couples. I use the Nikon for
family, especially grandchildren, photos -- both slides and prints, and for
travel photos for my family.

I use the M3 Leicas for those parts of weddings during which I don't want to
disturb the ceremony. I asked a minister one time if he objected to my taking
photos during the actual vows, because the families wanted photos taken then.
He said, "No problem, as long as you don't get between me and the bride."

I took the Nikon, with 28-85/2.8 and 55mm Micro Nikkor, with 35 rolls of
Kodachrome 64 to Europe with my younger daughter in October and November. This
was a mistake. I should have taken my two M3s, too. I don't have a wide angle
lens for the M3s, and Europe is very tight in many places. It's just
impossible to get back far enough to take many of the scenes.

My biggest interest in professional photography is portraits, weddings, and
architectural photography.

Dan and other LUGers, any other ideas for professional work that I might do
with the equipment that I have?

Charlie