Subject: Re: [Leica] I need help identifying Leitz Enlarger.
From: TTAbrahams <TTAbrahams@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 23:23:50 EST

Gabe, What you got( for a very god price too) is one of the great enlargers of
all time. The 1C is truly outstanding and once you get used to the
autofocussing you will never look back. The easiest way to determine the age
of a Focomat is the color. If it is black crinkle finish with a wood
baseboard/easel it is a 50'/60's enlarger. If it has a grey finish and a
filterdrawer as well as a white baseboard,it is from the 1970's.There are a
multitude of variations of focomat 1C's, different height of the
upright,strange illuminated dials that supposedly will tell you
exposurefactors etc,etc.
The critical areas are the condensors ( no scratches) and the neg carrier. To
replace the condensor is approx $400 and the carriers are getting scarce too.
The lens is a very good one, the Focotar 4.5/50 is a development from the
original DOOGS lens of the early 50's. If it the original lens the autofocus
should be fine otherwise you might have to reset it. The upright has a series
of holes in it, the cross arm for the enlargerhead is located on this post
according to the thickness of the easel. If you have the original Leica easel
with 1" base, the pin should be in the 2nd hole from the bottom and the
crossarm/parallellogram attachement should rest on this pin.
 Also beware of the lift arm for the neg. The condensor drops right down onto
the neg and holds it flat. If you want to shift the neg,slightly lift the
condensor with the arm, if you try to shift the neg without doing this, you
will have some nice gouges in the neg.
 The biggest userproblem you will find is a tendency for the condensor to
create "newton" rings, particularly when you print from film that is
"green",i.e. recently developed with excess residual moisture in it. A couple
of strips of thin black tape on the neg.carrier or on the condensor (I know,
it is heresy, but it works) itself can cure that.
 I have used a multitude of 1C over the years and like it. Right know I have
only 1 and it is on loan to a friend and I use my Focomat 2C for printing. (
this is a massive, 100lb Leica enlarger that can handle up to 6x9 cm negs. It
is a very good enlarger but the 1C is more convinient). To use multigrade
filters on the 1C, particularly if it is an older model without the
filterdrawer, just lift off the lamphousing top half and drop the filter on to
the top of the condensor. Works fine.
Good luck with the 1C.
 Tom A