Subject: Re: [Leica] Viewing Slides
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 09:09:45 -0800

Dale R. Reed wrote:

> Maybe this is out of order for a Leica List but you fellows seem to game
> for almost anything.
>
> How do you view your slides?  My Leica projector is OK for its primary
> purpose but the projection screen is all wrinkly from being rolled up in
> the attic too long. I think a light table with a certain brightness and
> color light with a frosted glass or plastic of a certain thickness is
> required.  Maybe available commercially from a known dealer for I am
> kinda lazy about construcing things like this.  And the best
> magnification loupe?  Maybe even a make and model?

Dale,

Funny, but the thought of viewing slides on a projector--well I've done
it a couple times in several decades.  But as a pro my objective to get
them off quickly to client for scanning and publication.  I have two
Knox Acculight four foot long tables.  I just recently built rolling
stands for them so I can move them by the computer for doing the
labeling and database entry.  They are quite nice, color corrected and
resonable (about $250, I think, with Calumet.) I understand the major
difference between cheap and expensive light boxes is that the expensive
ones use expensive daylight balanced full spectrum florescents.  These
are available as replacements, so you could replace a cheap box's bulbs
or build your own and use daylight tubes.  For years I used a 2x4 foot
light fixture scrounged from a construction site, had a piece of plex
cut to fit and set it upside down on a table.  Not elegant, but worked
fine.

When I interned at National Geographic many years ago I had the
wonderful pleasure of using their editing system.  Perhaps they still
use it.  They had cabinets made which housed a sitdown level light table
which pulled out from the cabinet like a drawer.  When you pushed it
back in, the slides were protected from dust inside the cabinet.
Brilliant! You could set all the working material on top of the cabinet,
such as slide sheets and film boxes, where they were handy.

On the left end of the cabinet was built a holder for a Kodak Carosel
projector.  This pointed away from you, into a mirror at 45 degrees (or
maybe two mirrors) and then into a small projection screen in front of
you.  The Carosels had bulk loaders attached.  So the initial editing
process was to grab box of slides, insert them into the bulk loader and
go through the roll tossing into the trash can any seriously lacking
images.  It might take a couple of passes.  Then the remaining slides
were stored by placing 2x2 cut pieces of paper on each end and binding
with  rubber band.  The paper could be marked with subject.

When the rough editing was completed, then similar would go onto the
light table and the real  editing process would begin.  You would take
close images and compare them, one by one with each other, tossing the
inferior, until the best emerged.  This is a process that could take a
half hour to a hour a roll if their was a lot of subtle differences to
make judgements about. Very hard to edit from a projector, since you
can't easily do quick back and forth viewing of several slides.  Editing
at this stage, especially with hundreds of rolls to manage is a fine art
and craft, and takes nearly as much seeing and discrimination as the
original shooting.  Few photoeditors who have emerged from the word side
have the dicipline or visual discrimination or patience (or often time)
to do this well.  Treasure good editors, for they are more rare than
good photographers.

Kodak makes a self contained project/screen unit that would probably
work, but I never liked the quality of the backlight screen.

I have a couple Fuji 4X lupes that they gave away and that works okay
with my budget.  I had enough Velvia boxtops to get about ten of them,
so gave most away.  Someday I'll pop for a great Schneider lupe.   A
50mm Summicron -R with aperture set wide open works nicely, too, as a
lupe.

All of my images go into standard pages with Pentaflex bars and into the
file cabinets according to serial number.

 Hope this helps,

donal

- --
Donal Philby