Subject: Re: [Leica] Seeking advice on lenses
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 1998 09:30:29 -0600

> Some
> say the new 35-70 f/4 zoom for the R cameras has an Aspheric element, but I
> haven't seen that info yet. (I have no reason not to believe it, by the way).

And, apparently, it is indeed true. From Jonathan Eastland's book on the
R8, published by Hove Books, page 138, in the section headlined,
"Vario-Elmar-R 35-70mm, f/4":

"The lens has eight elements, arranged in seven groups. Four of these are
made from highly refractive glass and one element has an aspherical
surface, ground and polished using a new process codeveloped by Leica."

I remembered reading this because I was impressed Leica was able to design
this lens with just 8 elements. By comparison, Nikon's 35-70 f/2.8 lens - a
fine, sharp lens in its own right - uses 15 elements.

Larry