Subject: Re: [Leica] Alas, kodachrome
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 19:28:48 -0600

At 03:51 PM 1/1/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Please understand that I have shot lots of Kodachrome and I love it; but we
>can't afford to watch it gather dust until it is sold off below cost out of
>date. It breaks my heart.

Kodachrome isn't going to die. Kodak just came out with a minilab to do it!
They should have done that a decade ago or earlier! It still has one
characteristic that makes it superior to all other chrome films potentially
to make it finer grained and sharper than any E-6 film. The fact that it's
only three layers of black and white film. No color couplers to make the
emulsions thicker, thus increasing sharpness and decreasing grain.

I've always preferred the pro Kodacrhomes to anything else. But for work, I
shoot negative film, so I don't get to use my old friend very often. I
always liked the image Leica glass put down on PKM, and PKR.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Logic: The art of being wrong with confidence...