Subject: [Leica] Re: (No Subject)
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 18:02 +0000 (PST)

Simon writes:

> I'm new to the LUG and Leica cameras.
>
> Live in West London, freelance programmer by trade, amateur snapper in
> my
> spare time.
>
> I've been using Pentax for some time (P30N and more recently MX) and
> have
> just got through the financial shock of an M6 + 2/35, which I intend to
> use
> for a few months before getting the 2.8/90.
>
> Most of my photographs are scenic or still lifes. With the M6 I want to
> get
> out and about in the streets. How do other people go about this while
> minimizing the risks of getting mugged for the camera but without
> burying
> the M6 so far beneath a jacket that the shot would be gone by the time
> the
> camera was out. Black tape over the Leica logos? Any hints by email on
> street photography would be welcome.

a) Be able to afford to lose it. For most of us this means insurance. You
want to be in a position such that - if someone holds a knife to your
throat and says "give me the camera" - you hand it over without
hesitation or murmur. Bravado & "showing the b***ards who's boss" have no
place in this game, even the most expensive Leica is a mere object,
replaceable in every way.

b) DON'T carry a camera bag which looks like a camera bag, and don't even
*THINK* of a photo-vest (does anyone actually wear those things?). A
battered old shoulder bag which looks like it's got your sarnies and a
copy of the Daily Sport in it will be far less likely to attract
attention. Better still, no bag at all, I use a black leather coat with
deep pockets...has the advantage of making me look like a serial axe
murderer.

Use black tape if you like, personally I think it's more effective
deterring the camera nerds than the criminal, though in some cases the
nerds are a bigger problem.