Subject: Re: [Leica] Slides
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 09:12:24 -0600

At 08:26 PM 12/31/97 -0800, you wrote:
>If any of you have time how about explaining to me what is the best film
>for taking outdoor slides.  In the olden days we took slides and I still
>like to show slides but when I shop at my local Fred Meyer's I can't
>find any slide film.  It all says print film.

I'm surprised Freddies doesn't have slide film. I used to get it there. Did
you talk to the person at the photo/electronics desk?

>Actually while you are at it.  What is the cheapest way to buy and
>develop color slides with the best quality.  I am sure there are trades.

As for film, or processing, the best way to get it good and cheap is to do
it yourself in a Jobo, or to buy film in large quantities from mail order
places (and stick it in the freezer) and then buy mailers. If you use
Kodachrome, then get the mailers for Kodalux processing. I've not used it
for years, since work pays for all of my processing. Fuji also has E-6
mailers, but I'd use Fujichrome film if I used those.

As for mail order, Abbey Camera has about the best price for film, but
their service stinks some times depending on the person on the phone. We
buy about $20,000 worth of film from them a year. Never gotten a bad roll.
Unique Photo is pretty good too.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Pi R Squared? No Pi R round, Cornbread R Square!