Subject: [Leica] On and Off Subject
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 20:32:10 -0500 (EST)

How odd; actually taking photos?  Exposing film in a camera?  I was under the
impression that we were all about serial numbers, accumulating gadgets,
arguing about where to focus for infinity, and denigrating Nikon.
Please sign me on. --Joe Codispoti
Joe,

Of course the central theme of any good photo list is fieldwork and the
successful print. The critiques are useful in that pursuit. I learned a lot
from our LUG colleagues about Infinity because I found it an important
consideration when using my favorite compact, the Leica-related Minox GT that
requires focus by judgment.

Also by discussing Leica publically, we're helping Solms develop equipment
best suited to our needs -- so the Leica list is feedback to the company.

The list has also given me a good repair reference for Leicas and what to
expect from particular camera bodies and lenses, including base prices.

As for Nikon, I know of no serious photographer who doesn't have a least one
reflex. I use Nikons. The contrast between reflexes and CRF's is useful
because the difference permits us to use each according to its unique
advantages. It reminds me of swinging three bats, to select one that
afterward feels light and easy to control and hit with.

Frankly, I enjoy the cross-reference we get on LUG, even the technical nut
and bolt talk. Leica is significant because it goes back to the birth of 35mm
photography and therefore we're also part of that remarkable tradition.

So let a thousand Leicas bloom.

Bob R