Subject: Re: [Leica] Importance of Coating Flaw?
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 13:34:30 -0500

Oops.  When I first posted about this, I had just returned to work after
having nipped out to the Leica emporium.  On getting home to my supplies, I
was able to determine (using the highly precise implements of moist breath and a
Q-Tip) that what I'd assumed was a coating problem was in fact (to use the
technical term) schmutz.  The front and rear lens coatings are in fact
flawless.

Lacking that little dot to obsess about, I eyed the inner reaches of the lens
for other possible foci of nervous concentration.  I was able to find one
small black `finger' reaching in from an outer edge, and a couple of
miniscule, nearly-invisible bubbles.  To try to force some perspective on
myself, I gave some known-good lenses the same treatment.  A collection of
Leica and Canon lenses nearly all showed some teensy imperfections, none of
which had had any obvious impact on picture-making.  My faithful and sharp
pre-ASPH 35mm Summicron displayed a constellation of tiny little bubbles, when
lit and peered into just right (wrong)!  But I couldn't find a thing imperfect
about a Canon EF 80-200/2.8 L...

I just need to take a chill pill.   Thanks for indulging me.