Subject: Re [Leica] Alastair Firkin's Q about Tokyo
From: Bruce Feldman <feldman@tuj.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 19:17:25 +0900 (JST)

Alastair,

I lived in Japan for 5 yrs, the last 2 in Tokyo, but I've been in Thailand
for the past 6 months.  Still, I may be able to help for your upcoming
visit.

First, you want to check out the camera shops near Shinjuku Station:
Yodobashi (the biggest, with everything), Camera Doi, MAP, and some used
camera shops near the station whose names escape me.  At Yodobashi, the
pro shop (with Leica, Hassie, 4x5, etc.) is on the 5th floor; the film
shop is in the basement (also tripods are there).

Next, at one of these shops, ask for copies of 2 thick, monthly photo
magazines:  Nippon Camera and Asahi Camera.  The titles are in English.
In the back of the magazine are display ads for many of the other camera
shops around town.  Many are in English .  You will find in those ads the
lowest prices currently available, and you can compare them against what
you found at Yodobashi, etc.  The magazines hit the newsstands usually by
the 28th of the preceding month; but Yodobashi usually gets them days
earlier than the other shops or newsstands.

There are more photography exhibits in Tokyo than you can shake a stick
at.  Check out the Tokyo Metropolitan Museum of Photography at Ebisu
Gardens (Ebisu Station on the Yamanote Line).  Posters for other exhibits
around town will be there.  Also, for lots of old cameras, including
Leicas, check out the JCII Camera Museum (on the Hanzomon Line) right near
the Emperor's Palace and then take a long walk to Ginza to check out Lemon
Camera and a lot of other Leica and general camera (new and used) shops in
the Ginza area.

Anything else I can help you with about the Tokyo scene, just let me know.

Regards,

Bruce Feldman