Subject: Re: [Leica] Importance of Coating Flaw?
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 19:25:17 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 29 Dec 1997, ted grant wrote:

> Jeff wrote:
>
> <<<I'd say the `bubble' is no more than 1mm in diameter,>>>>
>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> As most know I'm not technical, but it has always been my uderstanding that
> a bubble in lens glass isn't any big deal or at least it didn't used to be.
>
> For the moment until a wiser LUG person comes in here, I would just sit
> tight and continue to admire the dear thing. :)
>
> ted

That reminds me of a story. Many years ago--I think in the late
1950s, Schneider lenses, the Xenars, were showing up with bubbles
in the glass. Problem? I believe they coined a phrase, something
like: "If it doesn't have bubbles, it's not a genuine top-quality
Schneider lens." Or something like the above. It may have been
Burleigh Brooks, as the lenses were in Rolleis. (Wrong group?)

Anyway, I think that with modern technology and very high
prices, the lens you describe should be bubbleless. Ernst would
roll over, if he knew that his lenses had bubbles in them. Ed