Subject: [Leica] Importance of Coating Flaw?
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 16:04:02 -0500

Folk,

I just broke down and made myself a present of the much-discussed 35mm
Summicron-M ASPH.  On retiring to a place of comfort and examining the lens
obsessively, I note a small circular flaw in the coating of the rear element.
I'd say the `bubble' is no more than 1mm in diameter, and it lies nestled just
inside the outside edge of the element.  If I point the lens at a light source
and peer through the back, I can _barely_ get light coming through the lens to
hit the boo-boo.

Perfection would be nicer, of course, but does it seem likely that this
impinges on any `active' path through the lens, or would otherwise have an
effect on images?  I'd of course hate to bother schlepping back to the store
to try for a swap, especially as these puppies seem pretty scarce still.

 -Jeff