Subject: [Leica] Re: Street Photography in London
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 13:31:40 -0800

Simon wrote:
> Most of my photographs are scenic or still lifes. With the M6 I want to
get
> out and about in the streets. How do other people go about this while
> minimizing the risks of getting mugged for the camera but without burying
> the M6 . . .

An easy place to start is at local festivals and celebrations. At our local
Oktoberfest, Rhododendron Parade or the yearly Blessing of the Fleet,
people tend to expect cameras for the events. I think everyone is more
accepting that they are "public property" for photographs.

Also, my local Redwood Camera club does monthly field trips, which has
provided me with an excuse for poking a camera in someone's direction: "Yes
mam, I'm just out proving I'm a better photographer than the rest of the
club, and you in my picture will surely prove it!"

Like Ted says, a smile and friendly conversation are essential. They are
the easy evidence that you like someone, wouldn't dream of portraying them
in a bad light, and are at heart a gentle soul who simply enjoys people.

Have fun!

Gary Todoroff