Subject: Re: [Leica] What Model?
From: Colin <colinmi@fast.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 01:55:45 -0500

David Guidry wrote:

> I have a screw mount Leica camera I don't know the model or period it
> was made. The camera is serial # 539647, the lens is # 225815. The lens
> is an Elmar 35mm f3.5. I shot some Ektachrome with reasonable results
> considering that the lens is a little cloudy. What is this thing worth?
> Is there a service available to bring Leicas like this one back to
> "spec"? Any help or direction will be met with gratitude.
>                                                         Dave

Dave,

I think you have a IIIf from about 1951.  The lens is considerably
older, from 1934.  To put a dollar value on what you have without
knowing the condition, I'd say a few hundred.  There are people who
service these cameras.  My favorite is Golden Touch
(krauter@warwick.net) but there are others.  Your best bet is to get
that lens cleaned and take some pictures with it.  The IIIf is a nice
model to use.  What kind of finder do you have for the 35?--hopefully
the brightline.

Have fun,

Colin