Subject: [Leica] 21/f4 R SA
From: Max Lau <sklau@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 22:22:16 -0800

IMHO, the 21/f4 R is effectively a f8 lens. At wide open, it has
vignetting problem(it really shows up if you're underexpose), resolution
and contrast also weaker. But at f8 it comes to life. I used it with my
RE @ AP mode most of the time, setting it to f8 and started shooting -
call it fire and forget. Color saturation is less than the 35/2 R, and I
would say the SA is kind of neutral.

Second thing about the SA is that it has very good flare suppression.
And it takes a filter - either a series 8.5(it has to go with the hood)
or a 72mm will also do. But I prefer to use a step-up(?) ring and mount
a 77mm instead, leaving more room between the filter and the front
elt.which is very prominent. BTW, anyone knows if a cap will fit the
21/4 R Hood like the new 35/f2 Asph.?

And it feels good in my(small) hand. Handy, yet like it's armor plated.

Anyone who has experience with both the f4 R SA and the 19 Elmarit?

Max