Subject: Re: [Leica] film scanners
From: Claes Bjerner <claes.bjerner@pi.se>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 97 12:22:21 -0000

Thank you Francesco for your useful recommendations ragarding =
software and scanning.

>Before that, I had the LS-20, which cost $1200
>when I bought it a year ago (it is now down to $900).  The LS-20
>only scans 10 bits and  sends the best 8 to the computer.  The
>LS-1000 also has a higher capacity to read information from
>shadows and highlights than most scanners, including the LS-20.
>When I converted to the LS-1000 from the LS-20, I rescaned a few
>of my old slides I had scanned with the LS-20 and was shocked at
>the HUGE difference in quality.

I=B4ve used a NIKON LS-20 for a couple of years now with what I =
regard as acceptable resullts. But I start to realize that it=B4s =
time for an upgrade to LS-1000. And since I do most of my camera and =
computer shopping in Tokyo I know I can get a new scanner for a very =
low price. During a visit to Tokyo just a few weeks ago I  saw an =
LS-1000 for about US$1000. The LS-20 has gone down to around US$500.

>I recommend SilverFast, made by LaserSoft, a German company.  Their
>website is at http://www.lasersoft.de/ and you can download a free trial
>version of the SilverFast plugin for Photoshop.  It blows NikonScan out
>of the water.  Instead of Nikon's simple, childlike interface for overly
>general
>color corrections, the SilverFast software comes with a full-blown,
>Photoshop

At you recommendation I downloaded the SilverFast demo, and I must =
agree with you. It certainly makes the NikonScan look bad. The SF is =
so incredibly fast!! Let=B4s hope I can find the full commercial =
version here in Sweden. Only the best is good enough for my Leica =
slides!

Once again, thank you very much for sharing with us your expertice in =
the field of scanning.

And I=B4m sure many of us are looking forward to read your redesigned =
website.

Claes