Subject: Re: [Leica] Wanted: Universal Camera Holder
From: Andras Iklody-Szabo <isza@link7.lat.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 15:35:39 -0400

Eric,

no doubt, you have a point there! My point, however, is universality. I use
Nikon SLRs and Leica RFs side by side, most of the time they are both in
the bag and I use them for whatever they are best suited. Sometimes I run
out of film in the Leica but the Nikon is still loaded and I want to make a
few repros. That's when I need the Universal Camera Holder. Sometimes it's
the other way round, then I do it the way you suggested. The Reprovit is my
standard repro outfit, it is set up all the time, so I don't want to go
through the hassle of adjusting an SLR on a tripod, but hang it on the
Reprovit since it's there. There is a third reason as well: within the M
system I also use a Minolta CLE, which I think remains the best pocketable
high-quality camera with interchangeable lenses ever made (do I hear irate
Leicaphiles threatening to expulse me from the list?). To accomodate the
CLE body on the Focoslide is somewhat awkward since its size had not been
forseen by the Leica engineers, so there are no stops, but putting a
Visoflex and a bellows on it you can use it for repro with TTL metering
(what only the M6 can do) including TTL flash (what not even the M6 can
do).

Your curiosity satisfied? ;-)

Regards and merry Christmas

Andras

>At 09:50 AM 12/20/97 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>1. I am looking for a Leitz Universal Camera Holder, #16799. A piece of
>>casting with tripod screw which permits mounting Leitz (and other) SLRs on
>>the Reprovit IIa. Mounts to the Reprovit IIa in stead of the Focoslide
>>carriage for M-Leicas.If anybody has one for sale or knows, where to get
>>one, I'd appreciate his advice.
>
>My only question, and I'm not giving you a hard time, I really want to
>know, is, why would you want to use an SLR on a Reprovit? They are such an
>elegant solution with the M camera and focuslide. I've done copy work both
>ways. With the standard Reprovit and using SLRs. I can't imagine owning a
>Reprovit and not using it with the M.
>
>Why would an SLR be a good choice, when copy stands without all the
>paraphernalia or a Reprovit (which makes it so cool) would be a cheaper
>alternative with and SLR?
>
>Eric Welch

Andras Iklody-Szabo
Caracas / Venezuela