Subject: Re: [Leica]Which lens (was Telephoto Lens)
From: Ken Wilcox <wilcox@umcc.umcc.umich.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 09:27:45 -0500

I would get a dual range summicron (available used) for your examples. It
will focus to about 19 inches and is fast at f2. The 50mm focal length
sounds right for most of your work. It also works fine with the M6 meter.

Cheers!

kw

>I intend to take photos of dew drops on spider webs, ice along the edges
>of freezing rivers and lakes, fall and winter trees. Fractal-like things
>from Mother Nature that I can attempt to copy with the low-level
>high-level computer programming language called LOGO. I will not be
>taking photos of animals but some of the trees will be moving in the
>wind so generally I will not be able to expose for long lengths of time.
>
>I can afford a M6.  I like the focusing method for I am forever fighting
>the focusing on most cameras because I wear one pair of glasses for
>reading and another pair for distance and none for "working on my
>truck," running, and sometimes when looking through range finders. I
>have the same problem shooting my pistols for I can not clearly focus on
>both the gun sights and the target at the same time.  I think I can
>focus the M6 just fine.  Also I like the small size and weight of the
>camera, the manual relatively insensitive to temperature attributes,
>etc.
>
>I am not knowledgeable about optics yet but as a retired engineer I
>appreciate the classic design and "feel" of the M6 camera. I will be
>replacing a Retina IIIC and a Retina IIIc that will no longer advance
>the film.  I took thousands of slides with those two cameras 40 years
>ago during two tours in Antarctica. Other examples of fine German
>engineering. Except for the weak film advance mechanism.
>
>So my question is:
>
>Lets say, for arguments sake, I can afford(and am willing to carry in my
>backpack) only one, maybe two lens.  What lens should I buy and why?
>
>Thanks for the help.  I am a newbie to this interesting list.  And to
>modern day photography.    Dale
>--
>$  dale-reed@worldnet.att.net   Seattle, Washington U.S.A.  $

- ----
LHSA, MEA, LAW                         preferred--->
<wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>
                                              <kwilcox@genesee.freenet.org>