Subject: Re: [Leica] Winogrand/blind shooting
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 17:46:57 -0600

At 11:37 PM 12/18/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Case in point, I was shooting some teenagers this afternoon for a PR
>client. I needed them looking honest and human, and they were too "on." I

Another case in point. I went to a slightly promising situation at a
school. Principal dressed up like Santa Claus to honor a bet with kids who
were gathering canned food for the Starvation, er Salvation Army. <g>

Anyway, the thing I went to photograph was lame, and when there was
something interesting, a TV woman was in my way. So I just walked around
the school with the principal for a while and when she walked into one
classroom a group of first graders mobbed her. Then they broke out scissors
and cut her glued-on beard off! She was a bit worried about scissors around
her eyes. But the kids were having so much fun with her that they didn't
even notice me right in the middle of them with my 19mm lens on my R8. And
wouldn't you know, the camera was loaded with 100 ISO film. I shot it at
2.8 at 1/12 second and got one frame, the best frame on the roll!

Some times you just have to wait them out, and whey they are distracted,
they start being spontaneous. That's when you can get those wonderful slice
of life pictures.

And it doesn't always take an M camera!

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive.