Subject: Re: [Leica] Point and shoot survey.
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 22:35:23

At 11:43 19/12/97 -0800, you wrote:
>At 07:11 PM 12/19/97, you wrote:
>>It is not always a good idea to use two or three thousand pounds (dollars)
>>worth of camera for every picture taking project. Nor is it always possible
>>or advisable to use something as large or slow in use as a Leica
>>rangefinder camera or a 35m slr. Sometimes an pocketable autofocus camera
>>such as a Minilux or Mini 3 is the ideal tool for the job. It depends what
>>you're doing, and where you are.
>
>Joe, what you're saying here sounds eminently sensible, but my personal
>experience is different.  My wife has an Olympus Stylus Zoom, which is a
>pretty good little P&S.  I have enlarged some prints from it, and the
>little zoom lens is pretty sharp.  On the other hand, I HATE to use it.  I
>can never figure out what it's focused on; when I set a focus point and
>hold it, I have no confirmation that that's what's in focus; I don't have
>any idea what shutter speed or aperture the damned thing is choosing; it
>feels plasticky and makes unpleasant noises when advancing the film; it's
>completely soulless.  I stick an M2 in my jacket pocket and I'm much happier.
>-Patrick

I dunno. The Olympus Stylus zoom may be quite a camera for some but its
design and features don't really suit my preferences at all well. I think I
just hate those design criteria. I was talking really about the more
controllable cameras. I mentioned the Leica Mini 3 and I've never tried
one- I keep meaning to but I suppose I don't really need one... As far as
af compacts are concerned I only use fairly upmarket ones such as the
Minilux and the Ricoh GR1, and I can tell pretty much what they are doing.
With them I can tell what's in focus well enough most of the time- its a
different system but you can get used to it. Of course I prefer an M camera
when I can use one! Somwetimes I just want something I can shove in my
pocket and not have to think about. Then it's nice to be able to pull out a
Minilux.

Joe Berenbaum