Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing long lenses (long)
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 11:39:49 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

>At 08:28 PM 12/18/97 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>refocused with varying temperatures. I now have 180, 300 and 400mm Nikkors
>>with ED glass in them (actually, I believe the 400 may have a flourite
>>element, but I haven't been able to confirm this) that all exhibit this
>>behaviour, but to a lesser degree.
>
>Chuck Westfall told me that only Canon uses fluorite elements, because they
>have a patented technique for artificially growing fluorite crystals. The
>only way to make affordable crystals big enough to make elements.

I think you might point out to Chuck next time that among others, Konica
produced a 300 mm lens in the 70's that had a flourite element. Like I
said, the info on the 400 Nikkor is contradictory (this is the first
400/5.6, before they called any lens 'ED' and started to use the gold band)
but the Konica lens is well known. I had one for a number of years, and it
was superb.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com