Subject: [Leica] More blind shooting discussion
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 14:07:47 -0500

Cary wrote:

<<<<I agree with adi. I think whoever brought up the inappropriate and
vulgar term  (in reference to the "courage" it takes to take "real"
pictures) should have  thought twice before sending the post. For crying
out loud, there are women on  this list who have to read this crap too>>>>

Cary,
This being the case, that I may have offended a number of LUGGERS, please
accept my deepest heartfelt apologies. And I most certaily will guard and
choose my words in a more fashionable and appropriate manner in the future.

Having said that, it doesn't change my opinion of film exposers who do not
have the where with all to face their subjects face on and take the
"motivational moment preceived"  through the view finder.

I still and always will believe that any idiot can hang an M6 around his or
her neck and walk around with a 28mm or wider lens set at f22 sneakly
making "exposed" images and that they are not really shooting as
photographers who have the "courage to face their subject"

Cartier Bresson, Bob Capa, Esie, David Douglas Duncan and the names go on
faced their subjects quickly, efficiently and Leica quiet without this
"blind shooting" method. And I might add during life and death and many
other potentially "aggressive times!"

It takes far more skill and understanding of human nature to shoot in their
faces than "sneakily grabbing" moments of time.

There is one post that stated, "instance where blind shooting is when you
are extremely close, and raising the camera to the eye is offensive to the
people around you, or would make it at risk of revealing your intention to
photograph them >>>>>>

I have to ask which is worst?  Doing it in this manner and being caught
doing it sneakily or taking the picture quickly and being able to have the
people human nature relationships with others to still get the picture and
not offend people.

If you are caught "blind grabbing" it is quite likely to get you punched
out because your subject feels you are doing something wrong!  And what is
that person doing taking my picture?  You can immediately fall into a
"confrontational situation" from the subject if caught.

I'd rather and have done it for years, flaot along shooting and smiling to
people if they catch me with the camera at my eye. Quite often a smile and
indication you'd like to do another (they are rarely as good as the first
quick frame) and you can get another much more at ease frame.

Obviously it doesn't always work, I'd be a fool to say it did, but on the
whole the quick action of the Leica M cameras can beget you any number of
wonderful and well composted images without walking around clicking like a
Sunday stroller in the park shooting one way while looking another.

On closing, another apology to those who are offended by my earlier
comments regarding the attributes of men in action with their cameras.

ted