Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: [Lieca]Elmar 2.8/50 Collapsible
From: CapsTeeth <CapsTeeth@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 08:43:41 EST

> I just went to my local dealer and looked at this lens (New Collapsible
>  Elmar). It's a nice looking lens but a couple of downside features hit me.
>  One, the lens shade screws on. With the lens collapsed, and the shade off,
>  it is difficult to "dig out" the lens from the base. I had to use my finger
>  nails. Perhaps after it loosens up, it would be easier. This means that
>  while carrying an M camera with this lens attached, you basically have to
>  have the lens shade attached. If for no other reason other than to pull out
>  the lens. I always use a lens shade while taking pictures.
>
>  So I set the latest 50mm Summicron next to the Elmar. With the Summicron's
>  lens shade collapsed, the lens is basically the same size as the collapsed
>  Elmar with shade attached. And the shade is built-in to the Summicron (like
>  my R lenses.) The fact that the Elmar's lens shade is separate, and almost
>  needs to be always attached, leads me to opt for the Summicron. They are
>  exactly the same price ($795), roughly the same useful size, plus an extra
>  stop with the Summicron. And everyone knows the 50mm Summicron is a
>  landmark lens.
>
>  Am I missing something?
>
>  Please tell me why, other than possible collector status, the Elmar is
>  better than the Summicron.
>
>  Thanks,
                           Owning both these lenses, I noticed the exact same
thing.  In addition, I mounted the screw-on hood with a chrome UVa filter and
had a bear of a time separating the filter from the hood afterward.  They
really bind-up tight.  However, one thing you can't do with the Summicron w.
pull-out hood that you can with the Elmar is mount the clamp-on swing-out
polarizer.

Doc