Subject: Re: [Leica] Talking Nikon F
From: thibault collin <tc-lnc@u-picardie.fr>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 12:52:56 +0100

Hello luggers,
I am a scientific photograph who's been using either Nikon Fs or Leicaflex
SLs for motorised photography. I must admit that the mechanical components
of the SLs are much more silkier than those on the Fs! However, we broke
many SL2 mot shutters by firing high speed with them! The F was behaving
correctly but the MLU feature was not as good as on the F2 and F3, most of
the time, the mirror mechanism was moving and somehow breaking. The only two
cameras that were OK for this task were the F2 and the F3 that was even
better, both used on leitz microscopes! Lately, we used an F4 that broke
quite rapidly and an R5 on which the shutter went out after only a few days.
I am not sure that the F5 would be better, because I think that for high
speed and long series, the curtain shutter are the only ones that can be
used with confidence (with a 250 or 750 frame back).
For light measurement, I think that the photomic FTN is as good as the SL
cds cells (it should be the same cells somehow). The SL2 is better but not
as good as the silicon blue cells that are in the DP3 and DP12 photomic
finders for F2.
These latter as quite as good as the R4/R5/R6 metering systems.
For general photography, the SLs seems to me much smoother than the Fs but
they are at least as heavy or even more...
Thib.