Subject: Re: [Leica] Infinity focus tip
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 08:24:42 -0600

At 11:59 PM 12/17/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Chuck Westphal of Canon explained to me that longer lenses with flourite
>and other rare earth glass are made to focus past infinity because the
>glass can expand in very warm situations, shifting the focus points. I'm
>not sure I buy it.

It is a well established fact of many manufacturers. And fluorite crystals
(they're not glass) do expand a lot more than regular optical glass does
with temperature changes.

Chuck is a straight shooter, he does not B.S. I know him from many Canon
vs. Leica discussions when I was at the University of Missouri.

It also helps to focus through the optimal point to watch the focus roll in
and out. So some lenses are made that way for that reason.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

You'll get what's coming to you ... Unless mailed