Subject: Re: [Leica] 90mm lens comparisons
From: Vondauster <Vondauster@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 22:13:13 EST

Hi All,

In a message dated 97-12-17 18:32:18 EST, Dr Flynn wrote:

<< Hello everyone!  I am new to the list and have a very specific request.  I
 own a 90mm Summicron f2 lens and am unhappy with the sharpness.  My negs
 are just not as crisp as the 35mm Summicron which I love.  My question is:
 will I acheive a significant degree of sharpness with the 90mm elmarit
 f2.8.  I do not want to sell my lens or trade it in untill I hear from some
 of you more experienced leica users that the elmarit is better. >>

In my experience the current 90mm Elmarit-M is the sharpest of the Leica/Leitz
90mms, with only the 90mm R 2.8 giving it any competition. I was never happy
with my old-style, large Summicron 90mm; found the admirably compact 90mm
Tele-Elmarit soft (mine was a new Wetzlar sample); and was pleased with a
"fat" tele 90 that I had to trade off. I have never shot the current 90mm
Summicron, but a number of reports indicate it is not as sharp as the
Elamarit-M.

The above is subjective, though based on several thousand photographs shot
with 90mms. Hope this helps...

Will von Dauster