Subject: Re: [Leica] P&S Recommendation
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@instinet.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 14:44:04 -0500

> I'm trying to
> decide between the Minilux and the Contax T2.

I continue to think that the T2 remains the most physically appealing package
among the point-and-shoots, even after Nikon, Leica and Minolta have taken
their best shots at the market Kyocera created with the T2... BUT, in addition
to a few minor nits, the T2 has one possibly-fatal flaw which constitutes the
reason I hardly use mine anymore:  the T2, in common with all the "cheap"
point-and-shoots of which I'm aware, locks focus electronically with a
half-press of the shutter button but doesn't physically drive the lens into
position until you commit to taking the picture.  This introduces a small but
completely infuriating delay which allows the world to change out from under
you while the camera's trying to get around to taking the picture.

If you live and die by, say, landscapes, this is of no moment to you, and I
can recommend the T2 with little reservation.  If you photograph seething
crowds of people, be sure you think hard about your options.

Another drawback of the T2 is its relatively long closest-focus: 0.7m, I
think.  Some other cameras focus to 0.5 or 0.35m.

I've never had a serious optical complaint with the T2, though.

I believe the Minilux (either by default, or selectably) physically drives the
lens into focus at focus-lock time (but confirm this for yourself), and in the
realm of anecdotal evidence, I've seen some snapshots from the Minilux which
looked really snappy.

Other cameras which move the lens at focus-lock time include the Minolta TC-1
(many very pleasing features, including the ability to display and change the
DX-read ISO, but actually a little too compact for easy handling;  lens quite
good but exhibits definite corner fall-off), the Ricoh GR-1 (still taking the
measure of this one), and the Nikon 35Ti and 28Ti (discontinued?  still seem
to be available).

Really-cheap options with decent optics but handling compromises include the
Yashica T4 Super and (by reputation, I've never used one) the Olympus Stylus
Epic.

 -Jeff