Subject: Re: [Leica] WA infinity performance
From: Tom Kline <tkline@grizzly.pwssc.gen.ak.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:04:43 -0900

snip
It would be unreasonable to correct a 21 mm for i.e. infinity,=20
>if you need the lens's best properties at - let's say - between 0.9 m=20
>and 2.5 m. So, I think, that both the 28 mms, that I had, suffered at=20
>infinity from the correction to close distances.=20
>
>Different, the infinity "lack" of the 1.4/35 asph M Summilux should have=20
>another reason. I remember Erwin Puts mentioning, that the 24 mm (I=20
>believe it was the 24 mm), he was testing some weeks ago, showed the=20
>same "behavior". Erwin suggested, that this might be a general property=20
>of aspheric lenses, but he wanted & needed some more investigations.=20
>
>Different to my 2/35 Nikkor, the mentioned Leitz lenses have no floating
>elements.=20
>
>Alf

Interesting discussion:
I have a particular need for good infinity correction with fast wide angle-=
 to shoot the night sky, specifically the Aurora Borealis (AB). I have found=
 that the best approach is to use f/2 to f/1.4 lenses wide open with 200 to=
 400 speed color neg. film for 10 to 20 seconds exposures. The AB can range=
 quite a bit in brightness. It seems the brighter they are the faster they=
 move which is good since I want to stop their motion. In addition to L-M, I=
 use N and have had their 35 1.4 lens for a number of years and have used it=
 for this purpose. The angle of view of 35mm lenses  is good for capturing a=
 pretty good portion of the sky too, though I have seen absolutely=
 spectacular shots of the AB done with the C 24mm 1.4 lens (with a lot of=
 Cos to the 4th dropoff)(I understand that a new version has been released=
 in EOS mount). The guy who shot the 24mm used to work at the Geophysical=
 Institute in Fairbanks and got a little version of one of his shots=
 published in National Geographic (this is a few years ago, but less than 10=
 yr.)

 I have been thinking seriously about the 35 lux-ASPH for this purpose but=
 this discussion suggests that this might not be the best lens. The problem=
 with the N 35 1.4 is there is a lot of coma - the lens is comatose!!! Stars=
 (the short 10 to 20 sec.  exposures resolve the stars as points) in the=
 center look ok, but those on the periphery look disturbing and draw=
 attention away from the AB. I also noted this on shots I took of Hale-Bopp=
 (multiple comets!!!- stars plus the real one). Maybe the original=
 ASPHERICAL or 35 lux would be better for this purpose??????????

regards
Tom

Thomas C. Kline, Jr., Ph.D.                             =20
Research Scientist/ Diving Safety Officer               =20
Prince William Sound Science Center                                 =20
300 Breakwater Avenue, P. O. Box 705                                  =20
Cordova, AK 99574, USA
907-424-5800
tkline@grizzly.pwssc.gen.ak.us
http://www.pwssc.gen.ak.us/