Subject: Re: [Leica] A trip
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 11:08:14 -0800

At 11:04 AM 12/11/97 -0500, you wrote:

>     In the interesting message on his trip (below), Mr. Wulff mentioned
>     that he had used slides and that he would be "get[ting] a couple of
>     large pictures printed."  I have long used slides, and MANY years ago,
>     wanting to get a few prints made, I sent some off to Kodak for that
>     purpose.  But the resulting prints were quite poor, with very fuzzy
>     resolution and washed-out colors (compared to the sharp, beautifully
>     colored transparencies)---and this on what were only SMALL prints!  I
>     gather that, in the intervening years, technologies for printing from
>     slides have advanced, and now I'd like to try some prints again.  So
>     my question for Mr. Wulff, or any other group members who may know
>     about this, is what is the best process/technology/etc. to specify in
>     order to get prints matching as closely as possible the transparencies
>     from which they were made?  Thanks much for any help.
>
>     Art Peterson

This is not rocket science. And it's not new either. Prints from slides,
are, basically, the best photographic color prints available. Ilfochrome
(used to be called Cibachrome) not only produces outstanding prints, it is
one of the most archival processes around. What you got from Kodak doesn't
even approach Ilfochrome prints. It's like the difference between using a
home made pinhole camera vs a Leica 100mm f/2.8 APO Macro on an R8.
Cibachrome has been around for decades. Ilford bought it from Ciba-Geigy so
it's now called Ilfochrome. To see more about Ilfochrome, go to:

http://www.lightroom.com/

Jim