Subject: [Leica] Leica Dream system
From: "Thomas J. Donovan" <75674.3465@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 22:25:38 -0500

Steve Beyer,

>>I guess I am interested in why you have your lenses..........if you owned
the Elmarit
           >>would you still buy a 80 Summilux or 100 APO Macro Elmarit<<

I own the 70-180 APO & the 80 Summilux. My reasons ( in spite of the focal
length overlap) are: 1.) My 70-180 APO is used a lot on a tripod; used in
landscape work.
2.) My 80 Summilux is used for hand held portrait work; a.) It's high speed
creates a bright/contrasty screen ( particularly with the new (R8) screen )
which makes focusing fast & accurate. b.) It's high speed allows faster
shutter speeds which yields all the obvious benefits. c.) It's performance
at f1.4/f2 is quite remarkable.

And last, but not least, my 80 Summilux yields a rather unique "glow" in my
slides relative to my 90 f2.8 & the 90 f2 that I tested in Kennebunkport.
This last quality is very hard to define ( for me ) & I'm still trying to
sort this out ;~)!

Tom D.