Subject: Re: [Leica] Faas, Horst, and the Book, Requiem
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 16:40:56 -0500

Snip
Marc James Small wrote:

> Well, I for one, feel a bit aggrieved at the job done by Western
> photo-journalists in Viet-Nam.  The US, for God's sake, was putting >men IN HARM'S WAY and the photo-journalists, by undermining their >efforts, stabbed them rather dramatically in the back.  It wasn't >journalism:  it was trash. Marc  <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>  FAX:  >+540/343-7315

	Snip

Marc, with due respect, I believe you are mixing up photographers, who
were frontline and in combat, with TV flacks (aka news commentators) who
used the video footage (taken by others) to put their spin on events.

Take the book "Requiem" for what it is, a tribute to 135 photographers
who died or disappeared while covering the Indochina wars.  Many of the
photographers who died were South Vietnamese. The first American was
Robert Capa (WW II photographer and a veteran of D-day) who was lost his
life while with the French, in May of 1954.  The book contains many,
many outstanding photographs of the time period.  I would encourage you
to see the exhibit!  Your e-mail address appears to be out of Roanoke,
Virginia.  You really should trek up to Arlington where it is presently
showing.  My best -- & Happy Holidays.

Bill Caldwell