Subject: [Leica] Lens construction
From: CapsTeeth <CapsTeeth@aol.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 00:34:38 EST

I was comparing a current M-50/2 (w. pull-out hood) and a 35/2 ASPH to
early-1970's versions and noted that I couldn't find any setscrews or
retaining-rings on the current versions (although current 90/2 and the new 21
ASPH do have them evident) except for the ones affixing the rear lensmount.  I
remember someone of some authority saying that some of the newer lenses are
held together with cement, and that they tend to come loose with use.  In the
dental field we use some phenomenal cements and resin-bonding materials which
withstand extreme forces and a humid environment as well if not better than
mechanical fasteners, but I would like to inquire if any users out there have
experienced problems with newer lenses coming loose?

Doc